- Who is Godot?
- You took me for Godot.
- Oh no, Sir, not for an instant, Sir.
- Who is he?
- Oh he's a... He's a kind of acquaintance.
- Nothing of the kind, we hardly know him.
- True, we don't know him very well. But all the same...
- Personally, I wouldn't even know him if I saw him.
ideias e aforismos para
Depois de uma certa idade ficamos velhos demais para aprender seja o que for. Apenas nos resta sermos castigados uma e outra vez.
J. M. Coetzee, Desgraça
Nenhuma árvore explica os seus frutos, embora goste que lhos comam.
Miguel Torga, Bichos
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.
Amava o seu país com a paixão de um imigrante de segunda geração.
Bruce Chatwin, Na Patagónia
Não se vem à Itália à procura de requinte; vem-se por vida.
E. M. Forster, Um quarto com vista
Sempre que descrevo uma cidade digo qualquer coisa de Veneza.
Italo Calvino, As cidades invisíveis
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts.
Probably the most dangerous thing about an academic education–least in my own case–is that it enables my tendency to over-intellectualise stuff, to get lost in abstract argument inside my head, instead of simply paying attention to what is going on right in front of me, paying attention to what is going on inside me.
David Foster Wallace
Domina as coisas, que as palavras se seguirão livremente.
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
Almighty god, i am sorry i am now an atheist, but have you read Nietzsche?
John Fante, Ask the dust
There are enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method.
Herman Melville, Moby Dick
- I just want to die with a little dignity.
- There’s no such thing! Our bodies break down, sometimes when we’re 90, sometimes before we’re even born, but it always happens and there’s never any dignity in it! I don’t care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass… it’s always ugly, always! You can live with dignity; you can’t die with it!
House M. D.
Se nós nas travessuras das noites eternas
Já confundimos tanto as nossas pernas
Diz com que pernas eu devo seguir
Chico Buarque, Eu te amo